Susan's Faith Story


God first drove home this idea of faithful giving to me around the year 2000 when I decided to do what Malachi 3:10 (NIV) says and test Him on the tithe. That was the year I started faithfully tithing a full 10 percent of my income. I was given 3 raises within that year and I didn’t ask for any of them. I believe every raise came because of my tithing and not because of anything I did at work. I truly experienced how the remaining 90 percent (after the 10 percent tithe) is more than 100 percent.

God continued to bless me in all kinds of little ways that added up to me ultimately receiving more than the original 100 percent.  I’ll never forget being tested when I was temporarily on unemployment and unsure how I was going to pay all my bills that month. As scary as it was I told God I was committed giving my tithe, no matter what, and I was going to trust Him to provide what I needed. Right after I tithed from my unemployment check I went into see my career counselor for one of my routine appointments. At the end of the appointment he asked, “By the way, could you use a couple gas cards and a ticket to the food bank this month?” which I had not received before. I was stunned. I knew that was from God and I was humbled and excited to see His faithfulness. Because of the gas cards and food bank ticket the money I did have went towards my bills; every bill got paid that month. 

I had previously learned about the fishes and loaves story in the bible, so when Pastor Dave taught the same Kingdom principle during the Courageous Faith Campaign, I knew I had to sew a seed by making a financial commitment. My husband and I prayed about it and the Lord placed a dollar amount on each of our hearts, then we discussed it and agreed on our total amount. We then blessed our pledge, prayed to the Lord for what we are believing for and sowed the seed into Capital for the Courageous Faith Campaign. Six days later my employer told me they wanted to reclassify my job and that would include giving me a raise! I am now more convinced than ever that you cannot out give God! 

I know it was God because I have worked in my current job for over 10 years and I have been assigned additional duties over the years but it was always without additional pay. Why did that change now? Through a necessary reorganization my employer reclassified my job. I was given additional responsibilities moving my pay scale up 13 steps. When my raise kicked in my pay increased by 5 percent! If I choose to stay in my job long enough to get to the top of my new pay scale, I will eventually be making an additional $20,000 per year. 

There is a scripture that describes what is happening here: “The blessing of the Lord brings wealth, without painful toil for it.” –Proverbs 10:22 (NIV). Although it is tough at times taking on all my new duties, it is also exciting. God knew I was ready for some new challenges and as a result I will be growing as a person and receiving more money for it. This happened by obeying what the Lord asked of us. My husband and I were in agreement with our pledge and commitment amount and have already seen God bless us in numerous ways. Our vats are overflowing!

These few examples show the faithfulness of our God and I hope many people are inspired to step out and trust God. My husband and I remain in faith that what we have asked the Lord for through contributing to the Courageous Faith Campaign will come to pass. Whenever I have sought the Lord, I mean truly sought Him and done things His way, the Lord has never let me down. I know that part of sowing and reaping through God's Kingdom means that we have to be patient for the harvest. Just like sowing a seed into a garden there is a waiting period before you receive your harvest. So while we have not yet seen the full harvest of our Courageous Faith seed (which was a stretch for us), we have already seen increase begin to sprout. We remain patient and in faith that in due time our full harvest will arrive. 

I am so excited to see what God is going to do in our lives and in the lives of all those who have faithfully given to the campaign, so that Capital Christian can ultimately touch even more souls for God’s Kingdom.