JEHOVAH–RAPHA. THE LORD OUR HEALER.
“Praise the LORD, my soul, and forget not all his benefits— who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases…” Psalm 103:2-3 NIV
“So Moses brought Israel from the Red Sea; then they went out into the Wilderness of Shur. And they went three days in the wilderness and found no water. Now when they came to Marah, they could not drink the waters of Marah, for they were bitter. Therefore the name of it was called Marah. And the people complained against Moses, saying, “What shall we drink?” So he cried out to the LORD, and the LORD showed him a tree. When he cast it into the waters, the waters were made sweet. There He made a statute and an ordinance for them, and there He tested them, and said, “If you diligently heed the voice of the LORD your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the LORD who heals you.”” Exodus 15:22-26 NKJV
HAVE YOU EVER GOTTEN BITTER WHEN THINGS DIDN’T GO YOUR WAY?
“Look after each other so that none of you fails to receive the grace of God. Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many.” Hebrews 12:15 NLT
For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.” Matthew 12:34b-35 NKJV
“A merry heart does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones.” Proverbs 17:22 NKJV
THE PROBLEM: GOD PROMISES TO BE OUR HEALER, BUT WE OFTEN EXPECT IT TO HAPPEN A CERTAIN WAY.
· NAAMAN: 2 KINGS 5:1-19
“But Naaman became furious, and went away and said, “Indeed, I said to myself, ‘He will surely come out to me, and stand and call on the name of the LORD his God, and wave his hand over the place, and heal the leprosy.’”” 2 Kings 5:11 NKJV
· LAZARUS: JOHN 11:1-43
“Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”” John 11:22 NKJV
· THE SICK MAN
“When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he already had been in that condition a long time, He said to him, “Do you want to be made well?” The sick man answered Him, “Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; but while I am coming, another steps down before me.”” John 5:6-7 NKJV
HOW CAN I GET TO KNOW GOD AS MY HEALER BETTER?
1) BUILD A TREASURE OF GOD’S HEALING NATURE IN YOUR HEART
“So, faith comes from listening, but it’s listening by means of Christ’s message.” Romans 10:17 CEB
“Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered him punished by God, stricken by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.” Isaiah 53:4-5 NIV
“This fulfilled the word of the Lord through the prophet Isaiah, who said, “He took our sicknesses and removed our diseases.”” Matthew 8:17 NLT
“For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.” Hebrews 4:2 NKJV
2) CONFESS YOUR FAITH IN GOD’S PROMISES
“Let’s hold on to the confession of our hope without wavering, because the one who made the promises is reliable.” Hebrews 10:23 CEB
“So Jesus answered and said to them, “Have faith in God. For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says.”” Mark 11:22-23 NKJV
“God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did…” Romans 4:17b NKJV
3) STEP OUT AND ACT ON YOUR FAITH
“In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.” James 2:17 NIV
“You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.” James 2:22 NIV
“Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.” James 5:13-16 NKJV
EIGHT WAYS GOD HEALS IN SCRIPTURE
- PRAYER OF FAITH. James 5:13-16
- BELIEVERS LAYING ON OF HANDS. Mark 16:18
- ANOINTING WITH OIL. James 5:13-16
- PRAISE AND WORSHIP. 1 Samuel 16:23
- REJOICING. Proverbs 17:22
- COMMUNION AND REPENTANCE. 1 Corinthians 11:28-30
- SPECIAL MIRACLES. Acts 16:11-12
- GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. 1 Corinthians 12: 7-11
CONTINUE THE CONVERSATION DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
- Share an example of when things didn’t go your way. What was your response?
- How can you relate to Naaman, Lazarus or the sick man? Share how you identify with that character and story and what you learned.
- What is one practical way you can “build a treasure of God’s healing nature in your heart” this week?
- What is one way you can begin to “confess your faith in God’s promises” and make it a habit?
- The Bible clearly teaches us that faith and actions go together. What is an action (small step of faith) you want to take this week that will draw you closer to knowing God as your healer? This week pray for the other people in your group and their commitments to add action to their faith as they grow closer to God.